Jan 22 2012

Great recent reads!

Published by under Uncategorized

Just finished the last of the Global Reading Challenge Titles for this year: George’s Cosmic Treasure Hunt.  There have been so many discoveries since my Astronomy class at WWU 30 years ago! Reading all the new terms in the book convinced me that I needed to order a new science dictionary for the school library.

A very poignant read was this year’s National Book Award Winner for Youth: Inside Out and Back Again.  I hope that my students will enjoy it, but perhaps it might be even more popular with adults of my generation that have the background of growing up with the Vietnam War.

Can hardly wait for the ALA announcements tomorrow. Did you see the article in the Seattle Times yesterday? First time I’ve seen my prediction for the Newbery in print! Fingers crossed for my favorites: Okay for Now (My librarian friends scoff and say it will win a Printz for YA – and by the way Gary Schmidt is scheduled to speak at the WWU Children’s Literature Conference Feb. 25th  in Bellingham ), Heart and Soul (Could he win both author and illustrator awards for Coretta Scott King?) and likely on the Caldecott list I’ve heard many predictions for Good Night, Good Night Construction site. For the Geisel (Dr. Seuss) Early Reader award there is likely to be something by our Pal Mo Willems. Later this year he is coming out with Goldilocks and the 3 Dinosaurs – certain to be a hit! And which award might Wonderstruck win? Last time Invention of Hugo Cabret won the Caldecott. Will they let the Newbery have a shot at this year’s title? Three other awards that are favorites of mine are the Sibert award for informational books, the Wilder Award for contributions to children’s literature and the Jane Addams Award for peace & social justice.  Wish I had read enough multi-cultural literature this year to make a prediction on the Pura Belpre Award. It will be a delightful surprise for me!

Can’t wait to post the winning list and see how many of my favorites appeared and which new favorites I have yet to read!

No responses yet

Comments RSS